Thursday, June 6, 2013

Give it Try


This is it--the last adventure of Foods, Moods, and Attitudes. I hate to have to leave you on the dreaded “dead week,” but maybe I can shed some light at the end of the tunnel before I bid you adieu. Today, I have escaped the manipulative hands of the fast food industry. It has come to my attention that Taco Bell has recently brought back the popular Beefy Crunch Burrito, which, apparently, is fantastically momentous in comparison to my own taco Tuesday. After two quarters of a food-themed writing class, I think it’s safe to say that I want to know where my food is coming from. This is precisely why I had to reject my friends’ invitation to pay the Taco Bell down the street a visit for the purchase of these celebrated burritos (seriously, the meat looks like dog food). So, what did I do for dinner? I sure didn’t pay Benson Cafeteria a visit. It was a glorious day, so, why not go for some healthy tacos and homemade salsa? Yes, we’re going back to my roots tonight. 

From my backyard barbeques to family parties, there has always been SO MUCH SALSA. When I say salsa, I don’t mean the Tostitos Chunky Salsa that you pop off a cover for. I’m talking about the real deal, the kind of salsa that makes your nose run from the jalapeño peppers but pushes you to pile more on top of just about anything. I’ve been salsa deprived for about eight months now, so it was either wait for those home-cooked meals this summer, or do it myself. Cutting vegetables was about one of the only jobs I was allowed to partake in while my mother was cooking, so I was considerably familiar with the ingredients for salsa. The perfect salsa I knew and loved consisted of green onions, tomatoes, lime, cilantro, jalapeños, salt, and pepper. If it didn’t have enough flavor, my grandmother would always say, “La salsa no está suficientemente picante,” it just isn’t hot enough. With these words in mind, I knew I would have no problems topping off my tacos with something familiar and close to my heart. 

The taco recipe, on the other hand, came from Joy Bauer’s healthy food recipe webpage and stated the following: 

NUTRITION FACTS
Amount per Serving
Calories: 402
Total Fat: 16 g
Saturated Fat: 6 g
Cholesterol: 105 mg
Sodium: 755 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 22 g
Dietary Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 40 g

INGREDIENTS
  1. 1 1/4 pounds turkey, ground, (at least 90% lean)
  2. 1 packet(s) taco seasoning mix, low sodium, (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounces; mild or hot; plus water as indicated on package)
  3. 2 cup(s) lettuce, chopped or shredded
  4. 1 large tomato(es), finely chopped
  5. 1 cup(s) cheese, cheddar, reduced-fat, shredded
  6. 8 taco shells (corn), hard or soft
  7. salsa, and/or hot sauce (optional)

I would have to say I was a little skeptical about the taco seasoning because I knew from experience that my mom had never used this small additive in her homemade tacos. Even though  I’ve been trying to stay away from things in packages, I decided that a little bit of seasoning cannot do too much damage. Shamefully, I also bought hard taco shells in a box instead of baking them on my own because of my time constraint. Nevertheless, I felt confident in my dinner selection, and there was no way that I could resist tacos. 

Walking into Walsh kitchen with my bulging bags of food and utensils, I felt as if I were a regular on an episode of Top Chef. The dishes and pans were ready to go from the previous cleaning spree I had, so I went right to work on the salsa. Due to my not-so-spice-tolerant group of friends, the salsa was not as fiery as usual, but it was FRESH, flavorful, and worth the stacks of vegetables I had to chop. In case you were wondering, this whole process happened with the help of four other lovely assistants. One of my friends cooked the turkey meat while another picked little sprigs of cilantro off of the stems. There was someone to watch the taco shells in the oven, and to set the table. As each section of the kitchen started to produce heavenly aromas, I began to assemble each individual taco. The shells were warm and crisp, and the turkey meat with the seasoning was absolutely mouthwatering. Spoonfuls of salsa on each taco made up a kaleidoscope of colors, and each little taco was a masterpiece of its own. After sprinkling some Monterrey Jack cheese on the tops of each piece of art, I placed the golden tray of food in the center of the table. 
As we ate, we talked about our plans for summer, how much we hated the Miami Heat in the NBA playoffs, and how delicious everything tasted. More smiles, laughter, and discussions filled the kitchen until every last bit of food was eaten. Everyone talked and listened to music as the cleanup process took place (only ten to fifteen minutes total). I can’t emphasize how important teamwork is in the kitchen--without it, I would have been screwed. Cooking can be done alone, but in a college environment I would much rather crack jokes, make mistakes, and eat really good food with FRIENDS. From the very beginning, I never realized how many wonderful people would be willing to volunteer their time to cook with me. To be quite honest, it’s been three quarters, and I haven’t felt as close to these people as I did when they were standing beside me asking if the turkey needed more seasoning or when we were going to cook the next meal. Learning new things is what growing up is all about--it’s truly what makes college so challenging. Just like the obstacles of cooking, with life you need to mess up, start again, and ask for help. 

Mark Bittman, a columnist for the New York Times, wrote a commentary piece called “Pollan Cooks!” in which he highlights Michael Pollan’s voice in the new book, Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation. Pollan makes a very solid argument about the convenience of eating French fries on the “industrial scale” in comparison to the struggles of cooking them in the home. Naturally, cooking for ourselves is the bigger challenge and the less-convenient alternative ,but as Pollan states, “there’s something in the very nature of home cooking that keeps us from getting into trouble.” The more I take those trips to Taco Bell and stay in the repetitive grasp of the college cafeteria, the greater the chances of me getting into a food crisis. With the Nike Free Runs and yoga pants that continuously trend on my college campus, it’s obvious that people want to make themselves look and feel healthy. Well, don’t just look healthy, FEEL healthy. There is no greater pride than sitting down at a dinner table with friends to enjoy a meal that wasn’t handed to you on a white plate or in a paper bag. Sure, time is going to need to be prioritized so that homework assignments aren’t ignored, but time should not be an excuse. Readers, you’ve been with me every step of the way and my grades are up and I’m feeling great. Without any real scientific explanations, I was able to show that whether it was pride or taste, my meals made me a happier person. 

Sometimes I think in the jumble of college pressures, students forget that in everyday decisions, as small as the food they eat, quality is sacrificed for convenience. American society has cultivated us in a rushed and fast-paced mindset, but I’m here to say that it’s okay to slow down and do something that’s going to benefit you in the long-run. Cooking can be your ticket out of stress, unwanted snack attacks, and boring foods, but you have to make the decision to try it. So readers, I would have to say that my project was one wild experience, and I’m glad you decided to undergo these obstacles with me. You can find me cooking in the kitchens of my future residence hall next year, and summer will be a time for me to practice even more recipes. I have found my healthy alternative and maybe even a potential hobby, but your choice to start cooking is completely up to you. I wish you the best of luck, readers, from my college campus to yours. 

Works Cited
"Turkey Tacos." JoyBauer.com. Everyday Health, Inc., n.d. Web. 15 May 2013. <http://www.joybauer.com/food-recipes.aspx>.

"Pollan Cooks!" Opinionator Pollan Cooks! Comments. The New York Times Company, 17 Apr. 2013. Web. 1 June 2013. <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/pollan-cooks/>.

No comments:

Post a Comment